Friday, August 7, 2009

A Frango mint while running..... yes please!

I'm gonna do a quick recap from last night - Mike needed the computer for important work stuff which took priority over my blogging, if you can believe it ;)
*
You may recall that I made Mike a shrimp diablo pasta dish on Monday..... which he raved about... but got a bit sick of eating for the next few lunches. So, with the leftovers I made it into a mock lasagna of sorts. Basically, that just meant throwing it into a pan with some more sauce and dousing it in cheese :)
I ate a frozen banana for my pre-run fuel. Honestly, the banana soft serve is awesome, but it literally takes about 10 minutes and tons of sticking my knife into the miniFP to mix it up, etc. to get a good soft serve. Just eating the frozen banana is just as tasty but much quicker, easier, and with less clean-up!
*
I could have easily done a 7 miler without a Gu in the middle,but I wanted to test out a new flavor (to see how my stomach reacted to it) so I brought this guy for the halfway point. (I just brought one, but I put another one upside down so you can read the stats!)
It was pretty good weather for a 7 miler last night since we left so late at night. However, we turned around at around 3 miles, instead of at the 3 1/2 mile point, since it was getting dark - Mike was on rollerblades, and while I could have seen ok in the semi-light to run, it would have been more dangerous for him.
*
Once I got home, I did another mile on the treadmill... which was tough work!!! Yikes!! Our treadmill doesn't have a lower setting than 1.5 elevation, so it was much harder than running on the street, oddly enough. So I actually did a .5 mile, stopped to chill on the balcony for a minute to cool off, and then did the other .5 mile.
*
I wanted to make sure I got in the FULL 7 miles.... normally it might not matter as much, but I accidentally only did a 3 miler earlier this week (when I should have done a 4 miler), and I already run less runs per week then the training schedule calls for. I do this because it helps me stay injury-free, but since I run less frequently than most runners, I try to adhere to "my" personalized schedule as much as possible. If I'm only going to have 3 runs per week, I want to make sure I do them right!
*
After my run I had no appetite, but I knew I needed to eat something after running for over an hour so I had a bowl of daikon soup that I had made that morning (unpictured cuz it's not much to look at, but tastes great!)
*
Oh and I should mention that the mint chocolate Gu flavor is awesome!!! It reminded me of a Frango mint (you Chicagoans know what I'm talkin bout).... very good!! I can see myself sneaking to eat one of these when I am having a dessert craving ;)
*
I'm going to go pick up Mike's drycleaning and then head to yoga and then it's PIZZA NIGHT!!! I'm also excited that my new blog will be up and running super soon.... so keep checking back! Happy Friday everyone!! :)

3 comments:

  1. Good for you for getting that extra mile in! It can be so easy to bail on the last bit and call it as good enough.
    I used to use Gu and loved it- especially the mint chocolate, which we could only get around Christmas time. If you are looking for a change or find on longer runs your belly doesn't love it, try Carb Boom in the apple cinnamon flavour- it is pretty natural in terms of ingredients, and so less chemicals to upset the tummy. Also, I SWEAR it tastes like apple pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited for your new blog too!! Glad you had an awesome run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great weekend and enjoy your pizza night. Looking forward to the new blog :)

    ReplyDelete