Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Chia seed disaster

Why does it feel like Thursday already?!?! It's not a work week for me so I can't figure that out. Since it's NOT a workweek for me, I'm happy that it's only Tuesday and I have the rest of this great week ahead of me! :)
*
I had planned to get up at 6am for my run before the heat and humidity became unbearable.... buuuut naturally I snoozed a few times and I didn't end up out the door until about 7:15. I had a good 3 miler - it was really humid, but I had a great attitude today and that seemed to help a lot!
*
Breakfast was a juice with a slightly different twist on yesterday's creation. I'm getting low on apples and lemons, so to stretch my fruit, I used a grapefruit instead of a lemon - about 1/2. So it ended up being:
- 4 stalks celery
- 2 handfulls spinach
- 1/2 grapefruit
- 1/2 apple
I usually use a whole apple, so I was cutting back in this area as well. Basically it was very, very grapefruity, which I wasn't a fan of. But it was still very fresh-tasting!
*
After this liquid breakfast, I had the itch to cook so I made up a batch of zucchini chips - no pic but I'll show that later when I eat them for dinner!
*
I had some errands to run, so of course I decided to do them on foot. I love walking to do my errands... and why wouldn't I when I get these benefits:
- Better for the environment
- Save gas money and wear and tear (on my car), or save $5.00 if I take the bus
- Get some exercise
- Get my daily dose of Vitamin D
- Great time to catch up on phone calls - and it's safer than talking on the phone while driving!
- I just love, love, love being able to walk through the city of Chicago. I feel so lucky to live just a mile away from the center of its downtown! It's so much fun to walk through the beautiful architecture and to people watch!
*
I dropped off Mike's drycleaning (found out we have a place just a block away from us, score), returned some books to the library, and then did some birthday shopping for the upcoming August birthdays.
*
It was probably about 40 minutes of walking.... however, after walking about 1/3 of the way home, my right heel was giving me a tiny bit of pain - nothing crazy, but it got me worried, so I took the bus home from there. I'm sure I would have been fine walking home, but if taking the bus spared me months of plantar fasciitis pain, it's worth it!
*
Once I got back, I wanted to do something with the chia seeds that I had let sit overnight. Yesterday I soaked 1/4 c. chia seeds in 1/2 c. water, and it looked like this:

It was amazing how the minute I added the chia seeds to the water, they puffed up and became much larger than their original size (TWSS).
*
I read that chia seeds increase their nutritional value if soaked in water overnight, which is what I did. However, this morning they had become soooo gelatinous that it was kinda gross and gooey. I threw them into my miniFP with 2 chopped tomatoes, some nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and garlic.

Ummmm.... not a fan. I think this flavor would have been good, but I should not have let this soak so long!!! I think next time I will just let them soak a few minutes, and then it would blend better.
*
Since the chia cheesy sauce bombed (which was meant to be a dip for my carrots), I made some guac instead, which was definitely an acceptable substitute ;) I used:
- 2 avocados
- 2 tomatoes
- tons of cilantro
- lime juice
-garlic, S & P
- 2 carrots for dippingI felt slightly Miss Piggy for having 2 avocados worth of guac for lunch, but it was good, so who gives!
*
Remember those lime coconut cookies I attempted to make yesterday? I didn't care for them much, but I didn't want them to go to waste, so I morphed them into coconut date balls.

MUCH better!!!
Now I'm going to go relax for a bit on the patio and read The Time Traveler's Wife.... it's my favorite book, I re-read it every single summer, and I am trying to finish this summer's read before the movie comes out soon! So excited!!
*
I don't want to give up on my chia seeds - do you have any suggestions for chia seeds that I will enjoy?
****************************************
Also, I am having a FANTASTIC giveaway sometime in the next 1-2 weeks... as soon as I get my new blog website up and running. So be sure to check back regularly! ;)

6 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your chia seed disaster! I am new to chia seeds myself, but found a recipe last week that I modified to be Gluten-free that uses chia seeds. These muffins were amazing! Also, there is a link to the original, non-gluten-free recipe in this link, too:

    http://glutenfreeislife.wordpress.com/2009/07/31/gluten-free-blueberry-chia-muffins/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so lucky to live in a major city!! I really want to move to Boston! Hope your heel feels better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. I'm having an amazing giveaway tonight or tomorrow morning so check back!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like chia seeds just soaked in vanilla almond milk with some cinnamon. Yum, its like pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't tried chia seeds yet, but can't wait to see what you do with them! Thats awesome you live so close to downtown that you get to walk everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have yet to try chia seeds yet but i bet once i get a bag i'll be experimenting too....

    re: the daikon - my mom used to just add them to a soup like you would a carrot or a potato or celery - not the base of the soup, but an additional veggie....

    ReplyDelete