Thursday, August 6, 2009

Sleepy day: Chia seeds to the rescue?

I don't know if you read my midnight posting from last night or not, but let's just sum it up by saying I did not get enough sleep last night!
*
Ironically I had gone to bed the earliest I had all summer, but I ended up not falling back asleep until 3am, got up at 7, and I was tired allll day.
*
Part of the reason I couldn't sleep was that my brain kept going at 80mph , thinking about.... recipes!!!! I've always been someone who has a lot of dreams, and during work I usually dream about work every, single night. Yes, it is really annoying!!!
*
Last night I did not dream about work, but instead, I dreamed up recipe ideas in my head. I had been searching for something to do with my daikon, so this was the main focus of my nocturnal musings. I had used it for a 'salad' of sorts yesterday, so it seemed only natural that I make a soup with it today. However, I wanted to keep it raw and didn't want to have a hot soup..... problem was, my blender is broken....
*
Voilah! My brain must think better at 3am, since it finally occurred to me that I have an immersion blender!! Now this thing wouldn't work to blend just anything - it wouldn't work on a GM for example - but most soups should be a piece of cake.
*
In my head while half-asleep, I crafted up the recipe for a blended daikon miso soup. I thought about the miso since everything I had read about daikon online lead me to believe that it is prominent in Japanese cuisine, and I loved the daikon with miso dressing yesterday.
*
Sooooo, once I woke up at 7am, the first thing I did was make some soup! First I sliced the daikon up really thin and threw it into a pot, like so....
Then I covered the daikon with water and, without adding any other ingredients yet, tried the immersion blender. Yay, it worked!!! So I then added miso paste, EVOO, soy sauce, maple syrup, and some ginger. These ingredients go sooo well together... I love making that "sushi" taste in non-sushi dishes.

The soup was good! It made a TON so I have tons of leftover. No photo since it is basically white, creamy soup - not much to look at but it tastes great :)
*
Then I went to Whole Foods, something else I had been dreaming about last night... yes I know I am VERY weird lol. I was very good about sticking to my list - all I got was a lot of apples (for juicing), tons of tomatoes (because I love them), a couple bananas (I need one before my Saturday long runs), flax oil, calcium tablets, pasta sauce (to make something for Mike tonight), and I also got a couple coconut milk yogurt cups just for fun, to try out. I love that you can get yogurt that is dairy and soy-free!
*
Back at home, after replenishing my previously barren apple supply I made a juice. Yum!

And snacked on a couple of these (frozen grapes - what a treat! As good as a popsicle, I tell ya)
Lunch was snacky, and in a few segments.
*
Segment #1: tomato slices with both cheddar and mozzarella vegan cheese. MMM. I like both flavors, but I think I like cheddar the best!
Isn't this weird... it's not the light, this avocado really WAS purple!!! Luckily it ended up tasting just fine :)
Lunch segment #2: sunflower seed burgers with fresh avocados and tomato. This. Is. So. GOOOOOOD. I was dying to have the other two, butttttt instead I took a nap.
I am so exhausted today!!! After a 1/2 hour nap, I did indeed have the other remaining sunflower seed burgers (2 of them) for Lunch part #3.
*
Still soooo sleepy and wanting to get up my energy before my 7 miler tonight, I turned to chia seeds. This time, I did good!

I mixed 2 T. chia seeds, 1/2 c. almond milk, 1/4 c. dried coconut, Truvia and cinnamon and mixed it in the miniFP. It was really good, but will it give me its patented "energy boost"? Only time will tell....
***************************************
I am trying to avoid revving myself up with caffeine. I don't know about you guys, but I have a weird relationship with caffeine. I went for years of drinking an enormous jug of coffee every day...... to swearing it off for years completely... for drinking it only on long run mornings.... to drinking it only on weekdays.... to this summer, only drinking it before long runs.
*
Looking back to the days when I drank tons of the stuff EVERY day, I don't want to get to a point where it stops to "work" on me. Coffee tastes good but clearly I also like the energy boost, and I am afraid that if I have some every day then it will no longer have this effect. People, am I crazy??? Once I start work again in a few weeks I'm debating whether to go with coffee in the morning, or some green tea (I like the Yogi Energy Green tea), or just juice? Thoughts??
*
Right now I'm chugging some decaf green tea hoping it will give me a mental boost (or at the very least, that the placebo effect will kick in!) and I plan to munch on a frozen banana before going for my run later tonight. Catch ya later!

6 comments:

  1. Do you crave coffee or caffeine? I crave caffeine and in the past had pop in the morning, but I'm thinking about switching to coffee. All for caffeine reasons and pop for breakfast isn't something I'm proud of! Good luck with finding what you want, just listen to those cravings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm like Leianna. I crave caffeine most of the time. Sometimes I just really want coffee. I think you should alternate between green tea and coffee! Best of both worlds! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Green tea is definitely not as potent as coffee...Though I must say, as a coffee addict, I understand what you mean by the effects wearing off.
    And haha! No sleep because you were dreaming of recipes! Well, at least that's better than worrying about other things! I hope you got a good recipe-free sleep tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm frozen red grapes are one of my favorite freezer treats! i know i'm totally behind on blogs/comments, but here's that yuca dish i mentioned the other day http://cuban-christmas.com/yuca_con_ajo.html I haven't tried this exact one, but they're all pretty similar...maybe different ratios of ingredients? SUCH comfort food :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I noramally feel the need for caffeine early in the day. But, I suppose that many people feel that way. I am trying to cut back significantly. I went without for 4 days earlier last month and I felt awful! I realized that it makes a huge difference in my mood which is not a good thing because that leads to dependence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your eats look so amazing lately.
    You've been dreaming up recipes.. i've been dreaming about the wedding, haha!! I can't wait until I can dream about the simple things again! :)

    How long do you think you'll keep up the raw eats?

    ReplyDelete