Thursday, July 23, 2009

Bars, Blankets, Boredom, and Big Salads

After snacking on an enormous amount of the bar "batter" while making them, I was so full and all my stomach wanted was some fresh veggies!


I sliced up a tomato with some lemon juice, kosher salt and pepper. It was SO good and it made me feel regretful that I didn't buy any tomatoes when I was at the store today! I spent a great part of the afternoon packaging up the bars - I'm going to be seeing a lot of family this weekend so I made them all pretty-like :)

I ended up not following Sarma's recipe at all, so I'm tempted to come up with a new name for them but I'm not feeling very creative at the moment (any ideas?)

I spent a lot of the day doing uneventful things such as organizing my itunes. Sadly, this is a big undertaking and as boring as it is, this project will have to be continued to another day since I didn't get finished!
***
For dinner, I made Mike some quickie pigs-in-a-blankets (hence the blog title). Super easy but he loves 'em!

Mike also grilled himself some hotdogs and 2 pieces of marinated salmon from Costco. I didn't really feel up to fish - I haven't lately - but I did try a couple pieces of this and truly, he cooked them PERFECTLY. It was probably one of the most tender pieces of salmon I've ever tried - go, Mike! ;)

I had some cilantro that was about to get old, so I made some guacamole and topped my salad with it. I really cannot tire of this!!!!! I hope it doesn't get boring to look at, but seriously guys, I could eat a salad with avocado every day and not get sick of it.

After finishing The Big Salad (Seinfeld reference) I was completely full and didn't even have a sweet tooth at all, but I was curious about how the bars came out so I snacked on one....

........ ok, three ;) WOW!!!!!! If you would have told me a month ago that raw, vegan desserts would taste this good, I would not have believed you. The only thing I didn't like about these was that I used a good amount of coconut oil which is a bit pricier than your typical butter or oil - although it is much healthier!
***
Midway through the last schoolyear, I started writing in a "gratitude journal" every night before going to bed. Yeah yeah, it's a bit "Oprah-like", but what can be wrong with being grateful and appreciative?
***
I never thought to put it on my blog, but I just noticed another lovely blogger doing this and thought it was a good idea, just in case me writing my grateful thoughts inspires you to think about your own! (I apologize that I cannot for the life of me remember which blogger it was - please remind me if it was you so I can give you due credit for this!)
***
Gratitude Journal:
1. skipping my workout gave me free time, which was great - I love getting an early start to the day!
2. as lame as it is, I love grocery shopping (especially when I am not crunched for time) and enjoyed my trips to Jewel and Whole Foods
3. got laundry done last night so that was crossed off my list
4. had fun baking
5. lounged around enough so that I was bored... which I realize is quite a luxury and once I'm back at work I will appreciate this
6. had a nice dinner with Mike
***
What is something that you are grateful for today?







5 comments:

  1. I'm thankful for a husband who would do anything for me including helping me nurse my knee tonight after running! It's the little things that count:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Seinfeld reference. I watch it at the gym all the time and almost fall off the elliptical!! The bars look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally hear you on the whole needing veggies after a baking overload! Sometimes I don't even want the finished product because I am so sick of the batter!
    Right now I am grateful vacation is almost here. I need it badly to breathe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am grateful that I have the TIME to do things I love: to exercise, to read, and to cook food.
    I could eat avocado everyday and not get tired of it, too! I top it on my open-faced sammies, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love grocery shopping too! i'm grateful my doggie finally ate his dinner. he wasn't eating most of the day - i think he might have been sad his vacation time was over.

    ReplyDelete