Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Oat groats, she wrote

Hi there!
*
I slept in today until about 8:30.... love it!!! It definitely helped my energy level and mood to get caught up on sleep :)
*
An apple for breakfast........ And then it was time to head to the gym! Spinning again... and for the first time since last week I truly loved it! I find that if I go to class feeling sluggish or not in the mood then it's hard for me to get into it, but if I start spinning class with a positive attitude it makes SUCH a big difference. Class goes by faster - too fast even - I often want to keep going! I've gotta keep that in mind for next time - go into class with a smile and excitement and I will reap the benefits!
*
I was planning to stay at the gym after class to do a bit more cardio or strength training, but I knew I was going to Whole Foods afterward and truthfully I love grocery shopping and ESPECIALLY WF soooo much that I was so excited that I left the gym early!
*
What a dork right?!??! I had planned to just get some produce, and then realized that I will be by a Costco on Sunday so I didn't get as much fresh stuff as I had planned. However, instead I got some fun stuff - vegan cheese, miso paste, an enormous bag of dates, Ezekiel tortillas, and my favorites, organic buckwheat groats and organic oat groats for super cheap from the bulk bin.
*
What are your favorite things to do with buckwheat and/or oat groats?? I would especially love to hear something I can do with them w/o cooking them - keepin it raw here ;)
*
PS - thank you to Eating Bender for notifying me that my WF has a gelato station that I somehow never noticed before!!! lol.
*
I also did something I haven't done in years since I worked at WF one summer back in the day - I hit up the salad bar!! Woohoo!!! I made an awesome salad from carrots, peas, marinated kale, beets, seaweed, cherry tomatoes, and tons of roasted garlic.
*
Back at home I threw this on top of some spinach I had leftover and made a simple dressing from lemon juice and a bit of salt. So good!
The rest of my morning and afternoon will be great - cooking all day!!!
*
- freezing bananas (for Gena's soft serve, of course!)
- cooking and prepping sweet potatoes for my dinner tonight - which is a spin on what I had at the Chicago Diner! I can't wait!
- made a cream of spinach soup that I froze for later
- made a carrot-avocado bisque, but ran low on carrots so subbed cukes instead..... not quite as
good, I'm afraid

- I'm about to make some sunburgers to freeze for the week for me, and....

- below are some vegetarian "meatballs" that I made for Mike's pasta tonight - they are made from soy protein, bread crumbs, eggs, and lots of seasongings, then baked at 400 degrees for about 14 minutes!I'm also itching to bake (or unbake?) something, but we already have a ton of treats in the fridge so I think I'll hold out on that.
*
Hope you are having a lovely day!

7 comments:

  1. Groats? Am I the only one of your regular readers who does not have the nutritional knowledge to have heard of a groat? Oh... you meant goats. I didnt know we were inviting my whole family to dinner. Is the spit ready?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the post title!! I did spinning today too and gave you a shout out in my post for motivating me to try again! I definitely agree about the attitude thing. I went in thinking 'I can do this' and was so happy at the end that I did!!

    Oh, and I love WF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love grocery shopping too. It's just so exciting to get the items you love so much adn know how much you'll enjoy them later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel that way about Trader Joes, haha. I wish we had a Whole Foods down here!! Yay for a day of cooking and I'm glad you had a good spin class as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It drives me nuts that different Costcos have different items! The one in Cleveland does not carry ANY of the fun stuff you got to pick up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh i feel the same way about spin class!! i have to be emotionally prepared for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. *raises hand slowly* What's a groat?

    I LOVE all day cookfests! Some of my friends think I'm crazy, but sometimes it's fun to just cook a bunch of things all at once!

    Those 'meatballs' look fab...I wonder if Jamie would eat them...hmmm...

    btw, because you have such fantastic meal ideas and blog posts, I'm passing the 'honest scrap' award on to you :) Details are on tonight's post!

    ReplyDelete