Monday, July 27, 2009

* MaRaThOn MoNdAy * : Hydration, continued


Last week's Marathon Monday posting was getting a tad lengthy and rather than put you all to sleep, I thought I would just break it up into two postings. Hey why not, hydration is a runner's best friend right?
*
Here are some more things to keep in mind:
*
Make sure to get enough produce in your diet while training for the marathon so that you are receiving enough vitamins, minerals, sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium
*
If you are a heavy sweater, consider taking salt tablets. Although I sweat like a man - sooo much so that strangers at the gym have come up to me to comment about this as if that was a polite thing to do, lol - I have never tried salt tablets. The experts recommend drinking at least 8 oz. of water with each salt tablet. You can buy fancy schmancy "athlete" salt packages, or I've heard that the salt packets from fast food restaurants work just as well!
*
Something to try: weigh yourself sans clothing before your run. Weight loss means that you need to replenish your water loss, while weight gain means you took in too much water
*
Running in high temps or high altitude = you need to take in more fluid than you are used to!
*
We can increase our ability to endure high temps by 50% by working out in these conditions as long as you are properly hydrated
*
Studies have found that stopping more often to get water can actually increase your race time, and if it does you down, it will only be a matter of seconds since the hydration will increase your performance and will help to ward against fatigue
*
Happy running! :)
**** **********
PS - I am considering having an "expert" (Zestycook!) help to to design a new template as well as to get my own domain. However, there already IS a http://www.marathonval.com/ - I am trying to brainstorm what my new domain name could be. Any ideas, my creative friends?

7 comments:

  1. Hi Val,

    How about Val's miles.com or HealthyVal.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about valsmarathon... or maybe you can be marathonval.gov... if you can come up with a solution to America's healthcare crisis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post on hydration! It's something I struggle with a lot (I want to be hydrated, but I have SUCH a small bladder...). I've been trying to eat lost of water-rich produce to get my water intake up. My favs are watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumbers, tomatoes, and zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That stinks that there is already a marathonval.com! I've been looking into getting my own domain too!!

    Thanks for the tips on hydration!! I've been really dehydrated lately!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great tips and reminders! Hydration is my friend :) I feel sleepy if I don't get enough water.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yay for getting your own domain! Hmmm...names..names...my mind is blank..but if I think of something, I shall come back and comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great info. I need to get better about hydration!

    ReplyDelete