Friday, July 31, 2009

17 kinds of produce in the HOUSE

Hi everyone!
*
I hope you all had a fun Friday!
*
I spent today hosting Day 1 of a 2-day garage sale with my MIL and grandmother-in-law. We had the garage sale at Mike's aunt's house, so let's just say there was enough Greek going around today to fill the Acropolis! Not too lucrative though........ today's earnings was a measly $75 :-/
*
After an early 5am start to the day, I groggily fixed myself a juice. And... YUM!!! I was surprised to find that this gave me quite a boost of energy, at least for a little while. That morning I snacked on tons of fruit - a peach, some blueberries, and some blackberries.
*
I also ate a banana bread flavored Larabar, which was just ok - "B" ok. I think I am comparing everything to the delicious cashew cookie flavor and that is a high bar to meet!
*
Here's the pretty view through the trees above me that I wanted to capture.... not a view I get to see much in the city!
I see some of these in Chicago, but I still found them to be photo-worthy :)
Lunch was fresh from the garden!! I was served up some spinach with lemon and EVOO and some roasted peppers, while the Greeks feasted on - what else? - lamb ;) The peppers were really good, and it was my first time having purple peppers. These were sooooooo delicious.
*
Have you ever seen or tried a purple pepper?!!? Somehow the flavor is out of this world!! It has a lot more of an intense flavor than regular peppers and is a bit sweet and kind of meaty tasting. I loved it and am now fixated on where to find these but I have never seen them at the grocery store! Does anyone in Chicago know where I can find these guys?!?!
I left the garage sale for a bit to go to the grocery store since going to the suburban grocery stores are like taking a trip back to the 1950s! As in, I got 7 bags of food and 17 kinds of produce (plus other stuff) - for only $85.00!!!
*
I am psyched about all of the goodies I stocked up on!! Aside from some of the usual stuff, these are some things I am excited to use (most that I have never bought before):
- Yuca
- Daikon
- Beets
- Young coconut
- Rutabaga
- Ginger (surprisingly I've never bought fresh ginger since it's usually so expensive and since I have about 4 half-used jars of the dried stuff!)
*
I am really looking forward to make some exciting dishes with these items!! Any ideas? What are your favorite ways to prepare these items?
*
Later, the MIL and I basically attacked the mulberry trees like a lion on its prey. Have you ever had fresh mulberries?? I've never seen these at the store, but my dad used to grow these at our old house and eating them reminds me of my childhood! We literally were groping at these berries for about 20 minutes until all of the ripe ones were eaten. Sooo good, except for the telltale blue hands (and feet) - that stuff doesn't come off easily!

After a tiring 2 hour drive home, dinner part 1 was comprised of leftover coleslaw.
And tons of dates, snacked on while I type this! This is the plan for dinner part 2.....
I'm sure you are all sick of leftovers, so it will be nice once I start cookin all of those newfangled, weird veggies I bought today ;)
*
Tomorrow is a 13 miler - yikes!!! That's like running a half marathon, yet I am approaching it as a regular old training run which is kind of funny. Then, it's back to the garage sale - let's hope I have better luck tomorrow!

Gratitude Journal:
1. Was able to wake up today without coffee.... thank goodness for Cornelius the rockstar juicer ;)
2. Despite not making a lot of moolah it was nice to sit outside in the sun today with Mike's fam
3. I know this is dorky to say but I could NOT be happier about all of the cheap but great produce I bought today!!!
4. Today ended up being an "off" exercise day since I had to get up so early, but while I missed the exercise it was a nice break and I know it will give my body the rest it needs for its 13 miler tomorrow
*
The next time I talk to you guys it will be AUGUST..... crazy!!!!

7 comments:

  1. That's a lot of produce, I'm excited to see what you will be making. Good luck on the 13 miler tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like you got some good produce. We are moving soon so I hesitate to go to the grocery store.. I miss my fruits and veggies! ! !

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love daikon! my mom used to boil it in soups when i was little...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff and I always spend too much on groceries!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've spoken with a lot of people lately who have had less than stellar profits. People just expect second-hand to be dirt cheap. I have never had a purple pepper! I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that coffee mug is too cute!!
    I couldn't agree more with you on the Larabar Banana Bread flavor - it was just okay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PURPLE PEPPERS! I love all things purple, and I love peppers! I must find these! I can't wait to see what you come up with with all the produce in your house :)

    ReplyDelete