Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Homemade sushi, anyone?

Hi guys!

Today I started off the morning with a DELICOUS green juice. As you may recall, the last time I made juice it turned out great but that's because it was just plain carrot juice :)..... and before that I completely ruined the juice by adding a ton of turnip greens.


So, it was nice to make a good one today! I modified Sarah's recipe that she recommended, which involved a handful or Romaine, a couple stalks of celery, 1 1/2 apples, and a 1/2 lemon.

This was super light and refreshing and was just what I needed before heading off to the gym!

This morning I did 15 minutes stairmaster, 15 minutes reclining bike, and then attended a sculpting class. It was QUITE the workout!!!! It was a "guest" instructor from another gym location, and she kicked everyone's butt pretty hard today. It was one of those classes where I was half tempted to leave partway through, but I refuse to let myself do that so I am proud to say that I stuck with it!

Back at home I munched on some watermelon while I was in the process of cutting up the huge watermelon that we had in the fridge. I know that putting watermelon into the fridge reduces its lycopene content, but we had already cut into it so I had it storing in there. It also tastes much better cold as we all know :)


I snacked on a bit of the pulp from my juice.......... sometimes this is good, sometimes it sucks. Today, it was not so good. I had put a bit of soy sauce and ginger on it, but threw most of it away.


Planning on making Gena's carrot-bisque soup and sushi recipe tonight for dinner, I made the soup earlier today which was my lunch. LOVE this recipe!!! It is extremely flavorful, creamy, and very easy to make. Having Cornelius the juicer helps with this ;) but you could easily use bottled carrot juice, as well.


While reading some blogs later in the afternoon, I happened to catch a bit of "Wife Swap" on tv... out of mere desperation since there is not much on in the middle of the afternoon! I was highly amused to find that one of the wives ate a high-raw diet, and wouldn't you know, she was also portrayed as the strict, super uptight mom who loved rules and didn't know how to have fun!

I hope that viewers don't take this woman as the embodiment of the raw food movement. The lady on "Wife Swap" aside, every single other raw foodist I know is full of vitality and personality!

Annoyed with tv, I took my current read - Jodi Piccoult's newest - out to the patio. It was actually kinda cold so I eventually came inside with the desire to bake! I found a recipe for "raw chocolate coveried cherries" made from raw almond butter, cocoa powder, agave, and dried cherries.
I didn't exactly follow the directions to at T, so maybe that's why the recipe didn't impress me much. I ended up throwing a bit of the mixture into some almond milk with ice to try to make a smoothie out of it, but my lame-o blender was incapable of blending the cherries, so now I have a bowlful of this "stuff" sitting in my fridge. Any ideas what to do with it?
Dinner was so much fun to make! I had never even contemplated making sushi before, assuming that it was uber-difficult. However, Gena's recipe completely inspired me and I have to say it was very easy to make!




Dark choc for dessert, per usual. Night everyone!

7 comments:

  1. Making sushi at home is so much fun! It's even more fun when you make it a sushi rolling party :)

    I'm doing the lazy lady version of sushi later on this week - sushi in a bowl hehe. We'll see how this turns out. I have all the ingredients for a spicy california roll, deconstructed in a bowl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gone to a sculpting class and plan to go back. I know what you mean about wanting to leave though! Those lunges really hurt after a while!!

    I love watermelon!! I always put mine in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oatmeal topping maybe? or spread it on some pretzels?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, those sushi looks great!
    I snack on the seaweed wraps whenever I have salty food craving. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sculpting class are definitely tough! There's this one at my gym called SHRED and it makes me want to cry sometimes. But in a good way I guess? Your homemade sushi looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. *gasp* your homemade sushi looks so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Val,

    Thanks for your comment. Pilates is wonderful. I would like to add you to my bloglist, if that's ok.

    ReplyDelete